Friday, August 15, 2008

School Days

My little man officially started kindergarten the first week of August. As you can see, my dining room becomes a classroom every morning and at first I thought it would aggravate me (I had a separate room in Lucasville), but it actually has been better than having him in a whole separate room. After all, aren't homes for living in? I can fix lunch and load the dishwasher while he is doing something on his own, but I'm also right there to answer his questions, or help him if he gets stuck. Rarely does he get stuck. I'm also there to tell him to quit using his pencil as a toy but to write with it. :-)

Here he is writing his address and phone number. I'm so glad I chose to start him a little early on his writing. He can now learn four different ways. By listening (ha! Did I say listening?), by seeing it or reading it, by saying it and by writing it. He's actually a very good little reader. He reads all of his own instructions on his papers and, more importantly, he understands them.
This is little Anna Kate after her preschool work is finished. I must say, she's not quite as excited about school as what her brother is. Although, she does like doing Ben's Spanish. She is really good for me though. Sometimes she stands and leans against my arm, and other times, she just lays in the floor and holds one of my legs. (Anybody have any suggestions about the thumb issue?)
Here Ben is doing his math which he thinks is really fun. And, can I say, that I think he is absolutely adorable in this picture?
One of the other subjects we are dong is Spanish. It's by DVD. At first, he was a little timid about doing it. He is so afraid he's going to look silly when doing anything like that. He even feels that way about playing sports. I do have him talked into Upward Basketball this year...I bribed him! He may not like it, and if he doesn't, he won't have to do it next year. But at least this will let him see if he might enjoy it.

Overall, I'm enjoying the whole school thing. I was a little worried even when I was excited. But I really have been enjoying watching him learn and I love spending the time with him. Homeschooling is definitely not for everyone but I'm so glad that Scott approached me about doing it. I think it's going to work just fine for our family.

2 comments:

Beverly said...

Jen - I'm glad you decided to do it too. I think it will be a rewarding time for you and Ben. He seems to like to learn and loves the one on one with his teacher. Since he will be able to progress at his own rate he won't get bored with school.

Work hard Ben - Nana always rewards hard work :-)

--Mom (aka Nana)

Patty said...

I love the picture of him "doing" his Spanish also. I think it's great that he is enjoying it and you are as well. Your mom is right--it will be a rewarding time for both of you. And, oh, the things you will learn as well as Ben. Keep up the good work Ben, someday you might find a kid in the play area who understands Spanish. :) Love you all.