Wednesday, November 19, 2008

So, Now What?

We all know that there are times that we as parents talk about things that we don't want little ears to hear. My uncle and aunt taught me to double talk long before I had children. Their children were small at the time and as an adult I never could understand Greg and Sharlene when they used it. They were fluent...

Scott and I have little time to talk it seems, so, tonight, on the way home from church, I was needing to spill some stuff on Scott. I started using double talk so that Ben (Anna Kate was asleep) wouldn't understand me. He laughed and asked, "Mom, what language are you using?" I explained it was a language that his uncle Greg and aunt Sharlene taught me so that my kids wouldn't understand what I was saying. I told him this with a slight smart tone in my voice because I was confident he couldn't understand me. He laughed again and told me it was funny. I proceeded to talk to Scott and told him how "nibervibous" I was and how I was having trouble "tribustibing" and Ben asked me why I was nervous. He then asked why I was having trouble trusting.

So, Greg and Sharlene, now what? My 5 year old has figured out double talk. I thought I had a couple more years. You have any crash courses in other languages? :-)

4 comments:

Sharlene and Greg said...

Our kids did figure it out if we didn't speak very fast. Greg had a little trouble with this! Try going really fast - it takes practice. Otherwise, I guess pig latin would be another choice but we just learned to talk when they weren't around. After dinner was our time. They learned to keep themselves occupied and we could catch up. Good luck with that!

Joshua Duncan said...

Whenever Mary Ann and I are talking about the boys and they enter the room, we assign them names of different Harry Potter characters. I wonder now sometimes if they've already figured that out.

thumms said...

double talk! I still don't understand! How 'bout spelling?

Patty said...

It's tough having such a smart kid, huh? And, I'm sure spelling is out. Maybe get him an Ipod to listen to when you want to talk in the car. :) Try not to be nervous. I do understand the trusting part though--it's tough. Love you all.