Saturday, January 24, 2009

My Basketball Star

Well, my pictures are backwards but you'll get the point. Ben played his first basketball game today. He was absolutely adorable and my heart melted the minute he put on his little uniform. I had to bribe him to play, but now that he has started he really likes it. It helps that his dad is his assistant coach. I don't get how Scott wears so many hats, but he gets it done. Sidenote: Have I mentioned to anyone that he won't be wearing the hat undergrad anymore after May? Woohoo!!!!

Okay, so back to basketball! You'll see two of my favorite men, or actually, three of my favorite men above. My dad is standing just to the left with his camera. Notice Ben's hands! This was the only one I could get like this because people kept getting in the way. Every time the announcer would start counting down to the buzzer, Ben would stop in his tracks and cover his ears with his hands. It was quite humorous to watch! Never mind that last shot...the buzzer is loud!
Here is my favorite shot for the day. He was a little nervous and I figured he just needed one last hug of reassurance from his assistant coach a.k.a. "dad". Scott told me later that he was informing him that he needed to go and play instead of just stand there because he was nervous.

He had just been thrown the ball here. He missed it...actually, Ben didn't catch very many and he tried to give the other team a basket twice, but eventually he'll get it. Chris and Marisa gave us a hoop for our driveway and we go out and practice every chance we get.

If you look real close to the left of the picture, behind the white line, you can see Ben. They have them run through a tunnel with a bunch of smoke. It doesn't do much for pictures but the effect is fun at the game...that with the rock-n-roll loudly playing in the background. It's something like "Who Let the Dogs Out?" I can't remember...

This is not some picture of a random man but the team huddled. The man just happened to walk through as I flashed the picture. Do you see Ben there with his hand raised? He's adorable!

This was before we left for the game this morning. I had to get a shot of him in his uniform with his basketball. I love it that he and Scott have this to do together, and me for that matter. I had to laugh at myself on Saturday...so not the sportsy outdoorsy person...it was so pretty that we took the kids bike riding and we also "played" basketball. It won't be long until Ben actually dribbles and runs at the same time better than I do...but let's just let him think his 'ole mom is a star!!!! He'll find out differently soon enough, I'm afraid!

Well, the last picture is, of course, one of him role playing. He told me he was "calming the team down" here. And I quote "Just calm down guys, calm down!"

2 comments:

Beverly said...

Go Ben....my little basketball star. You did a great job at your first game. I love you!!!!!!!
Nana

Patty said...

He is adorable in the uniform--and the story of him being nervous, that is so cute. He IS your son, isn't he? Thanks for sharing these--I love the role playing one--"Calm down guys"....love that kid.