Thursday, June 5, 2008

Happy Anniversary!

All of you know these two people. My mom and dad. On June 7, they will be married for 40 years. There is nothing in the world that could replace these two in our lives. I have been so blessed to have them as parents. Their lives have always been an example for me and now my children.

Fond memories...I will never get the picture out of my head of my dad sitting at his desk studying his Bible. He's the one who taught me not to put God in a box and to question things and figure it out for myself. which I believe is what kept me for falling for the man-made rules and regulations so many people have tried to put in place in Christianity. So, thanks dad. I also remember sitting on his lap after gymnastics one evening. I was in 7th grade and when I got home, he was in the recliner and I sat on his lap for a long time that evening. I don't know why I remember that, but it's a memory that I cherish. I have many memories, but one more that I will share about dad is when we were at Marshall together. We ate lunch together often and on this particular day, as he got ready to go home, he gave me a kiss on the cheek in Smith Music Hall and said "I'll see you at home tonight baby". I said "Okay, I love you". There were a couple of college students standing in the hallway with jaws dropped...it was quite fun...dad and I still get a kick out of that one!

I have lots of fond memories of mom growing up too. One in particular is something that happened over and over. I was horrible when I was sick. I would cry and hold on to her foot as I hovered over the toilet and in between heaves I would say "Pray for me mommy!" Still a joke in the family today, as a matter of fact...Scott's even started using the phrase. Another fond memory is her telling me stories at night. She used to tell me Raggedy Ann's First Day of School and The Big Surprise. She even had different voices for all of the characters. One last memory I'll share is when Scott asked me to marry him, it was on Christmas Eve and we had grandparents staying with us. She and I slept together in the same room and we sat and looked at my ring before going to sleep and she was as excited as I was. (Of course, she was getting ready to gain a pretty awesome son-in-law).

Now, here I am, four doors from them and I feel so blessed! Some people shun the thought of living close to their parents or in-laws, but we feel differently. We consider it wonderful! I love that I can look out my door and wave to my mom as she stands on her front porch. That will be a memory that I hold forever too!

So, happy anniversary mom and dad! Thanks for all you do and who you are to our family. I love you and appreciate you more than I could possibly put into words!



1 comment:

Sharlene and Greg said...

Congratulations, Gary and Beverly. Hope you have a great celebration! And Jenny, happy belated birthday. I thought about you on your birthday but failed to drop you a line.