Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I Chronicles 16:8-12

"Oh give thanks to the Lord; call upon His name; make known His deeds among the peoples!  Sing to him; sing praises to Him; tell of all his wondrous works!  Glory in His holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice!  Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually!  Remember the wondrous works that He has done, His miracles and the judgments He uttered."

No pictures this time...how convicting these verses were to me this morning.  We are doing a Bible study at church called "Celebrating Life".  Last week it was just kind of a hohum week for me but this week is a different story.  Last night as I was doing the checkbook, I found a mistake.  It really wasn't a major deal but these days, with gas at around 4.00 a gallon and my grocery bill at least 40.00 more a week, it stressed me out a little.  Scott and I gathered Ben and Anna Kate up and prayed that God would just continue to provide as He always has and thanked Him for His provision already.  Now, you may think, "Wonderful, they prayed".  But that's not how I always handle it.  Sometimes, I don't respond that way and it's easy to start feeling very sorry for myself.  I want to be sure that I am thankful for God's provisions in my life and that I remember the ways He has blessed us!  He has performed miracles, yes, miracles for our family.  Ben and Anna Kate are two of those!  Praise God!  He has provided transportation for us in the past through people that cared about us!  Praise God!  He has provided unexpected money for us when we needed it!  Praise God!  He sold our house in Lucasville in three weeks!!!!!!  Praise God!  He provided a very nice home, in a nice neighborhood, close to my family within our budget! Praise God!  

The list really could go on and on.  But how many times do I sit back and remember how wondrous those works are?  He is a wonderful God!  Can we go on two week vacations to the places of our choice?  Probably not right now.  Can we have all the things done to the house that we WANT?  Probably not right now.  But I have to remember...remember...remember how great God is.  My life is blessed compared to others who have nothing.  God has given me so much just in relationships and in things too.  Our church sent a team to Mexico this year to build a soup kitchen...what a sight those pictures were of the children!  They have so little that it was hard for me to come home and see what I had.

So here's my conclusion for today...(remind me of this later, will ya?).  God is so good to give me what He has.  Things don't really matter.  It's just more stuff, stuff that won't matter in eternity.  However, God has provided me with two little miracles that I need to exhibit thankfulness and reliance upon God in front of.  What can be more important than that, right now?  I need to remember God's provision and greatness in front of them and tell them and others like these verses say.  I need to seek His presence continually and rejoice in the Lord with them daily!

5 comments:

Erin said...

Jenny,
I wanted to tell you that I was very encouraged by what I just read. The Lord used you today. Thanks!
-Erin

Patty said...

Thanks for the post today. It blessed me. I know that we can all learn to be more dependent on God and especially more thankful for the big and little things He gives us each day. And, those two little miracles of yours are obvious outpourings of His blessings in many of our lives. I know I sure do love them. Thanks for the reminders....love you lots.

Sharlene and Greg said...

Your thoughts reminded me of Chris Tomlin's song "How Great is Our God"

How great is our God
Sing with me how great is our God
And all will see how great,
how great is our God!

Joel and Kitty said...

So encouraging to hear how your life combined w/ Larry's message on Sunday plus Bible study is = sanctification! Thanks for being an encouragement to me today as we get ready to look at our support goals, etc. You are a blessing to me! xoxo blog.joelandkitty.com

Beverly said...

Jennifer - who would have thought that my "baby girl" would be able to one day bless her mother with a message from God. Thank you and thanks for the day we will have tomorrow. I love you!
--Mom